I'm a classical guitarist of some 30 years experience (amateur, but play at
an advanced level) who recently switched more or less completely to
Renaissance lute which I play thumb-under in the conventional manner.  It
took a little while but I am fortunate to have an excellent teacher
(Catherine Liddell) as well as the fact that I play mandolin, i.e. a
plectrum, and so the right forearm motion necessary to thumb-under was not a
problem.

Mr. Mayes' observation about the rh pinky raises an interesting hypothesis
but I believe that the extant evidence from the period is that the best
players did play with the pinky on the belly. I know of no modern controlled
experiment comparing the two possibilities (free rh hand versus
conventional) and find it difficult to imagine such an experiment (Bream,
who played the lute using what appears to me to be the same rh position as
he used to play guitar, is obviously not a controlled experiment).  I
personally do not find the conventional thumb under to be a problem in using
the ring finger when playing, say, early 16th century Italian music or, for
that matter, Dowland.

Mr. Mayes' remark reminds me of a recent review in Soundboard magazine of a
performance by Bob Barto at the Guitar Foundation of Amerca convention.  The
reviewer was astounded by the fluency of Barto's performance, especially
since, according to the reviewer, he used what the reviewer thought was
an outmoded right hand position -- i.e. conventional Baroque lute right hand
technique.

Robert Margo