From: Howard Posner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 5/1/2007 1:54 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Another beginner's question

On Tuesday, May 1, 2007, at 09:04 America/Los_Angeles, Joseph Mayes
wrote:

> 2. "...bend your wrist too much like playing the classical guitar" I
> have
> heard, and continue to hear this stated - it ain't so! Classical
> guitarists
> do not - repeat do not - bend their wrists. Playing perpendicular to
> the
> strings is a sure way to produce a thin, naily tone. It also hurts. We
> do
> not do it! Haven't for years and years.

Really?  These seem pretty perpendicular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8d-5gCGlYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2uaa0IVes&mode=related&search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPP0_va2krc

> There is no reason
> that anyone has explained to me, for having the little finger anywhere
> near
> the belly

It orients the hand.  I suppose the theory is that the hand has to be
so close to the soundboard anyway that it makes sense to rest it there.
  I'm pretty lax about my own little finger on the soundboard, but when
I find my tone getting nasty, the first thing I do to fix it is put the
little finger down.

>  I think it's a holdover from
> books advising complete beginners.

The evidence is to the contrary.  We know that big-league players
rested the little finger on the soundboard, and some of them rested the
third finger as well.

> There are pretty good reasons against it
> - like the fact that it cripples the ring finger.

I don't know a lot of lute players with crippled ring fingers.  (I
suppose if you spend a lot of time playing the Tarrega Estudio
Brillante with the pinky on the soundboard, you might develop
problems).  My unscientific impression is that classical guitarists are
more likely to hurt themselves trying to develop independence of motion
in third fingers that don't naturally have much independence of motion.

The only "good reason against it" would be that it prevents you from
doing something you actually want to do.  On the whole, it doesn't.  If
you need to play rapid arpeggios with the thumb and three fingers (in
which case you might be approaching the music with anachronistic
expectations), you can always pick the little finger up.

HP