--- Joseph Mayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     The false impressions I need to correct in
> Chris' e-mail are:1.
> Classical guitar technique is "counter-intuitive."

I too am a classical guitarist.  I continue to play,
teach, and compose for classical guitar alongside the
lute, and I think I do a pretty good job of adjusting
to both instruments on their own ground.  When I say
that modern classical playing technique is
counter-intuitive, I'm not bashing guitar nor saying
that lute technique is somehow superior.  Intuitive
means just what it means: what you do without thinking
about it.

However, I must disagree with you and restate that
modern classical guitar technique is indeed
counter-intuitive in the extreme.  What does every
single beginner need to be reminded of?  "Don't plant
your pinky on the front of the guitar."  I've said
this _thousands_of_times_ in lessons I've given over
the years.  I have never once had a complete beginner
who didn't want to plant the pinky and I've found that
almost all beginnners need to be reminded of this
EVERY LESSON for months before they become comfortable
playing without the support.  Even then, they are
likely to put the ol' pinky (or even more fingers)
back down again when they are nervous or sight-reading
until its totally ingrained not to do it.

Beginners also need to be constantly reminded to
extend their thumbs so that its not inside their
hands, under the fingers.  Pinky on the top; thumb
under the fingers.  Reminds me of something...

> Classical guitarists
> do not - repeat do not - bend their wrists.

While playing directly perpendicular to the strings is
never a good idea, the wrist does indeed have to be
bent somewhat.  Coming in with too flat of a wrist
means that the right hand fingers will be engaging the
strings at too shallow of an angle, in which case,
movement is not coming from the knuckle, but the next
joint.  This results at the least in a wispy tone that
lacks focus.  In order to compensate for this, those
straight-wristed guitarists end up putting more
muscular force into their playing, using the muscles
in the forearm rather than the hand.  Now their
playing sounds stiff - or worse, they now "claw" at
the strings, producing unintended Bartok pizzicatos.

   We don't want the wrist to look like some kind of
pipe-joint, but it does have to bend a little or it
doesn't work.

> There is no reason
> that anyone has explained to me, for having the
> little finger anywhere near
> the belly (Blasphemy - here come the flames) I think
> it's a holdover from
> books advising complete beginners.

Golly!  We'd get get out there right now and tell all
of those modern steel-string, fingerpickin' folk
guitarists that their planted pinkies and flat wrists
are due to a vast conspiracy of high-powered lute
pedagogues!!!  I'm being facecious, of course.  Just
pointing out that they do it that way without thinking
about it.  (BTW, I think a lot of these folkies could
learn a lot by taking the time to learn modern
classical right-hand technique.)

Chris