Dear All,

My experiences with Sofracob gut are much the same as David's - fine for
everything except a top string.  I recently tried to order some fret gut
from them and they wrote back to say that they no longer supply fret gut
- dommage!  Anyone know of a good source of fret gut?

By the way, I found the banjo strings quite strong and very cheap when
you get two out of a length.  I wonder who manufactures them?

The issue about single gut is interesting.  I always thought that the
thinnest string had to be made out of two whole guts laid thick end to
thin end, because of the taper.  Even then, the finished string might
taper somewhat.  But the really interesting thing about this is just how
thin could the old guys have made their strings?  If two guts are
needed, the answer is supposedly in the region of .43mm, and that places
some interesting constraints on just how high a pitch you can tune to
for a given string length - not because the string might break but
because of the uncomfortably high tension involved.

Can anyone (Mimmo? Dan?) shed more light on this?  And while we're at
it, I thought the old guys had to use whole guts as the basis for their
strings, because the splitting horn wasn't invented until the 18th C.
True or false?

Best wishes,

Martin