Interesting- my experience has been the exact opposite. My hybrid 6
course (Arnault de Zwolle body mated to a typical late 15th/early
16th century 8 fret 6 course fingerboard) originally had a very thin
neck; extremely uncomfortable (hand cramped up) but only after about
20 minutes or so of playing. Mel Wong re-necked the thing a couple of
years ago; much thicker neck -don't know if it conforms exactly to
historic specs- but now it's a joy to play, and my technique is based
on the lowered wrist/classical guitar form.   Dan