Correction:
7 and 8 to D and C

I have 8 on the finger board, and I tune the 6th and seventh D and C,
but if you have 7 fretted, D is good, if you have six fretted the
lowest fretted note is G and of course you may tune your open
diapasons according to key.

Both single reentrant and double reentrant have their advantages, but
G tuning is a bit better than A tuning.
Double reentrant has a terrific melow sound, single reentrant gives
fuller chords except for C major and F major where the third of the
chord is in unison

The similarity with the gamba gives you very fine chords and scales.
It is like one instrument.
Also, the tuning is great for the Vivaldi Concerto in D--which I have
played on the mandolin in that tuning, so I tried it on the archlute,
then started in on the temperament.
Have to play the G sharps up in the concerto though, or set the first
fret to all sharps.
dt

dt