>"... please excuse my ignorance."

  I don't know about any excusing, but ignorance is not an issue here
except my own. I just came up from the lab, where I did a feasibility
study for fingering purposes only. 7 string, steel-string guitar;
dropped the 4th & 5th as per "G" tuning (which of course it is, with
A=370) and 7th at D where always is anyway. The "envelope" has the
same limits, just a "Who moved my cheese?" feeling in regard to the
major 3rd interval. Surprisingly congenial fingerings for most of the
chords, a few need more barring fingerings- it can be worked out.
Scales no problem- just catch the where the 3rd is at the 5th to 6th
string crossing. While obviously developed for continuo/ensemble
work, I tried a few Dowland solos for giggles. "Earl of Essex"
galliard wasn't bad. The big G major fantasia works very well. Then
problems with Lachrymae and some other minor key pieces, but most
things might be workable. Surprising thing is how well it sounded on
an instrument with fixed metal frets- seemed to be a subtle
improvement in the chord tunings, richer thirds- and more of them on
open strings. Equal temp. on the steel string guitar never did sound
quite right anyway, and some of the sound just now was a relief.

Looking forward to the updates and examples.    Dan