The double first fret is a very good system.
And you need not learn a new tuning. It also has some limitations.

The scordatura has a very different sound. Not
better, just different. And you trade some voice
leading for all those extra chords, because you
really don't want the A flat in your E Major
chord. It is really something. Also you can play
some intermediate thirds as well for well tempered situations.
It is a more chordal sound. After playing the
chords it is difficult to go back. I think it is
really worth trying just to hear the sound, it is hard to describe.

Also I think this tuning is good for a
demonstration because of the extreme position of
the thirds...I always used to have to show this on the harpsichord or organ.
I remember the first time someone showed me the cembalo cromatico.

As for scordatura, nothing could be more
historical.  As for whether they used it on the
theorbo, I think they had so many tunings in the
early seventeenth century that someone would have
tried it, but it certainly was not standard. You
could argue that the ten course lute was not so
common as well. I probably would lose that argument.
Certainly in iconography I don't see very many
frets with such extreme positions as this temperament uses,

But it sounds interesting. The main thing is I
can play now in a pure meantone ensemble with
organ   But really just the chords., it is limited in some respects.
dt