On Fri, Nov 9, 2007, LGS-Europe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> 2) Skip the calculating [...] adjusting by the ear
> and/or tuner.
>
> The second way is good if you want to avoid the theory.

bad if you are in concert, unless your skill in imprompto patter rivals
that of Arlo Guthrie.

I am reminded of all the tweaking I did between playing classical guitar
pieces that were in different keys, not relising that I was looking for
something to please my non-ET ears while constricted to the ET placed
frets; it was not until I took up lute proper that I learned about
tempered tuning.

Its particularly bad if you are playing in ensemble, except perhaps with
viols; not all of the instruments we have invented have the flexibility of
adjustible frets - your woodwind players might find it necessary to make
reed adjustments, fiddle with masking tape or wax; fretted instruments
will need a trip to the maker.  And, each piece in the repetoire might
need a seperate set of adjustments.

This is why ET won out in the long run.
--
Dana Emery