I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding the eight course Lute et al, but from a modern stand-point, and a musician's probable limited income, it is still the best choice for the student, and armature player, who wants one instrument capable of playing a wide range of music with a minimum of re-tuning.

All of the arguments for other configurations and contrary to the eight course instrument are all valid, but the logistics remain and the choice is clear, with an eight course instrument your access to the most music for the least spent resource is still eight courses. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Hind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Edward Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:26 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Is 8c really the standard?

Ed
I keep my 7c at D, and then stop it down for F. Of course this means
the7c is no longer open, which no doubt does effect the way the
string resonates. So there is a compromise, involved.

I would agree that in gut, the additional 8c is not so much of a
problem, for 6c or 7c music. However, how many beginners keep their
lutes in gut?

Probably more important than choosing between 8c and 7c, is finding a
good lute, and then succeeding in stringing it well. It took me about
two years to find the best stringing for my lute.
Even now, I am still ready to experiment.

Initially, I found my Gerle a little bass heavy, as Jacob Heringman
told me I would, saying approximately that as the Gerle had a deeper
body, it would have a plummy bass, an explosive sound but with not so
much sustain. That is in contrast to the Venere that might be
brighter with a more sustained sound and possibly less rich bass.

Using Venice twine has helped balance that out a little better.
Presumably, in the case of the Venere, it might be too much of a good
thing, but I haven't tried.
Regards
Anthony