So really it is more a head issue than a tactile one? Interesting but understandable. I have always had problems playing something on someone else's instruments right out of the gate. One has to get acquainted with the Lute to play it, it seems to me.

vw
----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Winheld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:05 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Is 8c really the standard?

This "slow you down" aspect is one that I am finally able to address
personally after over 35 years of lute playing. I finally got my
first 7 course lute last year; an Andreas Holst, 62 cm. SL. All my
previous R lutes- 57 to 72 cm- had all been 8 course. (I'm not
counting the 10 course and Baroque lutes for this discussion). The
"slowing down" thing is a tactile/mental manifestation rather than a
technical feasibility thing. I could always (and frequently did) play
anything and everything much too fast on any of my 8 courses- what I
feel on the 7 course is an incredible ease and freedom- things flow
very naturally; whatever the tempo. Everything in the repertoire that
I can fit on this lute just falls under the fingers almost without
conscious thought or effort- some pieces now go slower because
there's less to "fight" against.  I wish I had gotten this instrument
30 years ago. And it's not that it's a "fabulous" instrument, it's
just very good; but everything about the neck width, thickness, and
general proportions works in an ergonomic way that I have never
experienced on an 8 course lute- only on my 6 course- which with the
8ve basses is restricted to the earlier stuff.  Just my subjective
experience here.

 We do know that Dowland at least had a one-night stand with an 8
course; Sir John Langton's Pavan and the King of Denmark's galliard
in the Varietie are genuine 8 course pieces.

Another issue is the 10 tied frets on a 9 course lute. (Anyone ever
see/build one of those?) Again, read Dowland's comments in the
"Varietie".   -Dan

I'm not sure just how an eight course instrument is going to slow
you down? Is it not a matter of not playing the strings you do not
use or need at the time?  In theory, if not fact, it is possible to
play many Lute pieces on a six course instrument and never play the
sixth or even the fifth course for that matter and this does not
seem to be an issue.

So if you or anyone else could explain to me how an eight course
instrument can slow you down I would be most appreciative.  It seems
to me that a six course instrument would have the same effect in its
limiting access to a large and significant portion  of the
literature.  This might not slow you down physically but musically
is another question.

The only thing I would add, purely subjective, is that as a
performer, a question:
Will the 8 course slow you down in the long run?