On Nov 28, 2007, at 3:37 PM, vance wood wrote:

> The "We" we are discussing happen to be  a group of Historically
> Correct Mavens that look at the issues of historical correctness
> more closely than we look at the practicality of the things at hand

Hi Vance,

Certainly we've all been known to do that at times.  But it seems to
me (the Great Disclaimer) that generally speaking (another Great
Disclaimer) most HIP afficionados will take historical purism as far
as it takes to satisfy their intellectual curiosity, and beyond that
will do exactly what musicians have always done:  whatever's
necessary to make good music.  In other words, every musician starts
with the specifics of his or her chosen instrument, and will sooner
or later move on to the general considerations of "good music" in
whatever guise they choose to play it in.  That's my belief anyway.
This whole discussion about 8-c lutes seems to be two-pronged:  our
sense of historical correctness vs. our personal musical
preferences.  I guess my point is that I don't see those two things
as incompatible.

David Rastall