To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:06 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Is 8c really the standard?

As a musicologist, I think Martin has such a lucid description that
I'm totally persuaded.. And rereading all the insights I can tell
that ppl have really thought this through.

The only thing I would add, purely subjective, is that as a
performer, a question:
Will the 8 course slow you down in the long run?
And my experience is that it does, if that is your main lute.

Again, everyone is different.
But I think it changes the idea of practicality versus authenticity
to practicality versus deveolping skill.

I'm not saying that you can't be a great artist on an 8c, I think it
just isn't the best tool for the job.
Having said that, if you have a really nice 8c, don't trade it in for
an Aria. And there are some pieces that it is great on.

dt