Daniel Shoskes wrote:

On Dec 2, 2007, at 4:40 AM, Nigel Solomon wrote:

Admitedly I was using wound strings (has anybody ever tried keeping 24 gut strings in tune successfully
for the time needed to play a single Weiss courante?).

That is what I find interesting though. Long gut strings seem to be much more stable in terms of keeping in tune (and getting them there). I like the idea of long guts in the basses of a Jauch and then nylgut and KF for the fingerboard strings.

BTW, I changed the 5th course copper wound on my archlute to the new KF "G" strings. Wonderful sound and very close in appearance and thunk to gut.

DS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

I find that the thicker the gut string, the more stable the tuning. On my theorbo diapasons (170cm) gut seems relatively stable, much more so than on the fingeboard strings where the thinnest is 0.54. Still, I defy anyone to tell me whether the theorbo is gut or nylgut strung in a concert with other instruments and singers. I think maybe ones "audience" might notice the difference in your living room sitting
around the fire, perhaps the ideal concert conditions, you might say.