Yes, Nigel, I do it all the time.  In fact, I had a concert in humid August
this year, in which I performed on a Scottich mandour, an 11 course, and a
13 course bass rider lute.  All are in gut (that is all I have had for
baroque lutes for the past 12 years), and I did not have to adjust one
single peg to re-tune.

The only time I have tuning trouble is when the climate is changed during
performance (i.e. someone turns off air conditioner, etc)
The gut these days is so much more stable than the gut of some years
ago.  I actually find it easier to deal with, as compared to wound strings.

ed

At 10:40 AM 12/2/2007 +0100, Nigel Solomon wrote:
>(has anybody ever tried keeping  24 gut strings in tune successfully
>for the time needed to play a single Weiss courante?).

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812
e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]