I agree with Ed. a friend has been playing my gut strung lute, on and off for a year. At first he couldn't come to terms with the gut basses, now he is seriously thinking of adopting them himself. He has realised that at least some gut actually opens uo the sound of the lute, and makes it sound more "free". Those were his words, not mine.

He also notices an impression of slight delay when releasing the basses. I think that means he has now acquired the technique described by Ed. Not surprisingly a tennis player told me almost the same thing when he moved from synthetics to gut.
Regards
Anthony