Nigel
According to Mimmo Peruffo, his new loaded strings would be more stable to temperature and humidity influences even than synthetics. I imagine this could be due to the loading by a sort of tanning process. Perhaps the oxide? covering protects the string.

A lutist neighbour of mine had the possibility of actually trying out these strings on Mimmo Peruffo's lute in a small room at the Greenwich meeting, in England, for over an hour and with only two other persons present.

Obviously the lute was completely strung in Aquila gut, but the middle strings were in Venice, the basses down to 11c were loaded, and the basses down to 13c were open wound Mest types.

First, he was struck by the fact that the change from bass to middle, and to treble was so exceptionally smooth. This was a stated aim of MP in a message he sent to us; but this lutist felt he had never heard a lute with such a smooth change. He was a little surprised at the quality of the sound, as the lute itself had a crack in the soundboard.

However, he tells me the basses really had him amazed. He says it might not be noticeable when you change one string, but when you have all loaded gut basses + Mest, there is a completely different response to the instrument. It is as though there is a slight delay and then a sudden development and then a rapid decay, (perhaps, like a consonant followed by a vowel), so that there is absolutely no overhang like with wirewounds.

Actually, that sounds much like I have always found with gut basses; but on previous occasions, he told me, he had found gut basses just too thick, and unresponsive, these were different, he clained. The loaded strings must be thinner, of course. He said the sound is in some way more "earthy" with more texture. I think that means something like "terroir" for a wine, if you know what I mean.
The whole sound seemed so well articulated, he said.

Now, I do hope those strings will soon become available, but I certainly would not want to put Mimmo Peruffo under any pressure. I am sure his time (and my patience) is an essential ingredient, just like the production of a top wine …
Best regards
Anthony

PS I am not myself down rating any other string types. I am not too bothered by thickish strings and I like Larson gimped. However, the more variation there is in gut strings the more chance there will be for finding the right strings for a particular lute. I am happy with Venice strings on my Gerle, because they allowed me to remove a certain bass heaviness, probably due to the plummy Gerle shape (well actually that is what the sound was like, plummy mid-bass). It is not clear that would be what you are looking for on a different shaped lute.