Le 6 déc. 07 à 21:22, Daniel Winheld a écrit :

Anthony, I read Mimmo's text carefully twice; (halfheimers, the brain glass is still half full) so I remember the different nuances of the different string specs & applications- no false impressions created.
Dan, I am sure many people did, but writing this down as a message to you had the dual purpose of apologizing if anyone had been lead astray, and clarifying my own ideas. That last is becoming more necessary, as time goes by ...
In any case It's very good to know how all the different string types work- even if we go off by 50 or so years one direction or the other on the various lute-string combinations while working it out. My own 13 course rider thing (An ancient Bob Lundberg original; a semi/quasi-Hoffmann) has worn everything from snarly old Pyramids that sounded like a bad sitar to plain gut so thick you could use it to anchor a tugboat, and everything in between- including Lyon & Healy harp strings, Dan Larson gimps, MP's first generation loads, and at this point the almost default position of Savarez copper overspuns w/nylgut octaves- possibly the least unsatisfactory compromise for an old lute that by present levels of excellence is not up to minimal standard anyway. One interesting product I've used for some time is the KFC (karbon-fibre gut) by Savarez- looks like plain gut embalmed in carbon fiber (KF) material, as they claim it to be. Sounds pretty good, very stable, but too stiff and thick past about 1.20 mm or so. Worked well on my old 8 course bass lute at 72 cm sl.
Yes, I think experimentation is essential. Each lute (and each lutist) seems to respond well to slightly different stringing. If you don't try you will never know. Lutists and lute makers in past times may have been quite conservative, but without some experimentation, there would never have been any change in string technology. Quite probably different music types, even of the same period, might also work better with slightly different stringing and or lute types.

Yes KFC does seem to be the best carbon type (or so every one reports). Even a purist like Jacob Heringman uses it on the 5th course in difficult conditions, but I thought as it became thinner, it also became more metallic (you seem to be saying the contrary, perhaps both extremes, too thick and too thin, are to be avoided). Someone recently told me that the overall effect is accumulative when you use a type of string. The more you use, the more the quality/ defect is exaggerated. Thus the more plastic you use the more plasticky the sound becomes, and the more gut you use the more ------- y, it becomes (I don't really know what expression to use here, so I will allow anyone to fill in the slot, according to their attitude to "gut"). I could make a parallel with types of capacitor in a preamp. Some are insulated with various plastics, some with paper, some with mica, the material is clearly audible, and the more of them you have of the same type, the more obvious this becomes. In that particular case, I almost always mix and match to avoid any one defect. With my lute, I do tend the otherway, but that is a matter of taste and relates to the conditions in which I play.

So it looks like we will eventually have access to mixing and matching (and mis-matching) all the relevant string/instrument categories in an informed and occasionally humorous ways. Loaded fundamentals with Titanium octaves on your six-course, anyone?
I have one top string to try. Interestingly, for a synthetic, you need 0,47 to have the same tension as gut 0,42. This should mean a good finger/string contact. I will try to report when I have time to do the test. Although, I suspect one string will not have a very marked effect. One French lutist is using carbon mids and Titanium- Nylon tops. I am not sure what basses, or what octaves, but he reports that it is better than the previous material he tried.

On the other thread, "standard 8 course lute" , it became obvious that there were several contradictory conditions and aims that lutists have to contend with, so each lutist just has to find his own particular level of compromise. This is bound to result in many different configurations and experiments, which no doubt are good for us all.

Yes I agree with you, much variation is possible, so long as we know what we are doing (and what compromises we are making), and we don't fool ourselves more than is necessary. A little self fooling will always be present, and as you imply, the more serious we are, the more in danger we are, of self-foolery. It is never possible to completely reconstruct. The closest we can often get is sometimes a sort of metaphor, as it can only be a tiny part of the complete reality and its context. Nevertheless, to be able to try those loaded strings, which we see in that Charles Mouton portrait http:// tinyurl.com/2bfzat, while attempting to interpret his tablature, should be a very interesting experience (particularly if you and your audience are also wearing his reconstructed wig, to reduce room acoustic reflections, ancient acoustic damping system?) But I think certain musician/composers, such as Mouton, were really searching into the potential of their lutes, and making them "speak", for this type of composer, the closer you are to the instrument and the string types, the better. Some other composers, might have worked in a more abastract way, and transposition to the modern guitare could be a possibilty, even if cretainly not my preference, but Mouton on a modern guitare ... ?

"However, this is not the point I want to develop, here. I am just
looking at MP's findings, as one would the research of an
archeologist, trying to reconstruct the technology of a certain
period. This could simply be viewed as "pure" research aimed at
broadening our knowledge of the conditions in which musicians played
at a particular period and leave it at that (as for example when
archeologists managed to revive the technology of flint knapping,
which has no obvious immediate modern use).
Personally, I have always had a passion for archeology, and I love
the texture and sound of gut strings, so I take pleasure in both
aspects of this research."

There are primitive technology nuts out there who are indeed reconstructing different flintknapping styles to conform to different materials and periods, and then using the results in the field. The following site has forums (fora?) on flint knapping, primitive archery, ethnomusicology, shelters, etc.
I have to admit that I watch all those archeological programmes with a little reconstruction in them. I remember, a fairly recent reconstruction of a Celtic war chariot with amazing floating suspension, so that the charioteer could both veer at pace and be able to throw a lance, or fire an arrow from straight position. Sounds like the most recent from of computerized C-----n hydraulic suspension (I suppose I should be careful not to advertise).

One of my friends made a televison program with a flint knapping demonstration from a scientist at the CNRS, and now you tell me that there are archers out there trying all this out. In fact the last time I went to a knife shop, they persuaded me to buy a Japanese Ceramic knife. I suppose that is pretty close to going back to a flint blade, and for many years, I believe Obsidian, used by stone age warriors, was the sharpest material known to man. "Because of the lack of crystal structure, obsidian blade edges can reach almost molecular thinness, leading to its (...) modern use as surgical scalpel blades."

http://b16.ezboard.com/bpaleoplanet69529

I am occasionally amused by deja-vu experiences I encounter in the archery community when discussions about different historic bowstrings, their material, construction techniques, and their applications to different bows and bow types get rather animated. Seems I've just had a similar discussion somewhere else....

Dan, I myself wondered how much the ancient technology of Yew bow making could tell us about the conditions in which Yew lutes were made (in a previous thread), but Martin Shepherd seemed to think I was barking up the wrong tree (Yew or otherwise). I thought the natural spring qualities of the yew wood, described so well, on those archery sites, might have been put to some acoustic use, but apparently not.

Anyway, thanks so much for your post, the more information the better- please keep it up. Dan

Thanks for your comments
Anthony