Din,

Here's how to do the magic. As you know, walking on water is actually quite
easy if one knows where the rocks and stumps are. In this case they are
composed of  two or three card templates derived from a drawing. If you
don't have plans with sectional views (vertical cuts through the body at
precise points) then you will need construct them by drawing the body in
side view and front view. Due to the shape of the body, a front view will be
in perspective with the small block end in the foreground and the maximum
girth making up the largest part of the drawing. On this view you have drawn
the edges of the facets beginning at a point in front of the block and
extending to the perimeter of the drawing. If you started your drawing with
a smooth curve you may now connect the facet lines and, voila', the form of
the ribs. From this perspective view so segmented you may now fashion
templates which match the facets, i.e. an inside cutout with flats which
correspond to the outline of the body at a certain point. One should be at
the thickest point of the body shell - the faceted outline of your drawing -
and another about half way, no precisely half way, between the drawing edge
and the block.

Now, as you carve the mould you can apply these templates to the shape. You
will find that using a felt marker to draw the edges of the facets in as you
go, understanding that you will most probably carve them away and need to
redraw. Once you have the whole mold carved - and please, please do not get
too anal here, this is really not rocket science. Believe it or not
instrument build is a pretty forgiving medium - you cam saw off the block
end creating a flat onto which you can screw the basswood block wood. Once
you do, you can see how the facets on the block are merely extensions of the
body facets. It is things like this which keep me carving solid moulds.

Hope this helps,
Rob Dorsey
http://RobDorsey.com