Dear Dan, Din, Jon, Rob etc,

I have nothing against solid moulds as this shows
http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/moulds.htm

In practice I use skeleton moulds for lutes with fewer than 19 ribs
and solid moulds for those with more. I find the skeleton better for
aligning ribs while building and they are certainly quicker to make,
which is why I showed them in my courses. It even has historic
precedent in the Arnault of Zwolle manuscript. There are no historic
moulds surviving, so for all we know the original makers all used
skeleton moulds, though not in MDF, that horrid but useful material!

However in answer to Din's query I normally build up my solid moulds
in exactly the same way as the skeletons but with each cross-section
defined on paper first, which ensures the shape remains as designed
and allows me to make then hollow at the same time. This makes the
large theorbo moulds light enough to handle with ease. After the
cross-sections are all glued up, the protruding corners are simply
chiselled off leaving the exact mould shape, as I show in the lower
picture. It's a nice metaphor to think of carving the air space and
in fact that's what I'm doing, but on paper first. Perhaps I'm more
used to seeing the 3D shape within the drawings having done it so
much.

Thirty years ago, when I first started, I used to build without a
mould in just the way Dan describes (following Ian Harwood, who I
think first came up with the idea) and it's certainly a very quick
method. But it's difficult (but not impossible if you build a jig for
each rib) to build the more complex shapes which are not
semi-circular in cross-section and only a few of the historic
surviving lutes are like that. Most involve twisted and assymetric
ribs and I came to prefer these shapes, hence the large number of
moulds.

As ever there are many routes to the same end.........

Best wishes,

David

--
The Smokehouse,