Hello, Dave!

Thanks for your note.  Some people are surprised to hear this, that 70 cm
is too long for 415, f (treble).  In our times, we are so used to using
synthetic strings for a baroque lute, so when we go to gut, we encounter
frustration over trebles that break quickly, and will not last.

Years ago, there has been research on the upper limits of gut trebles, by
Eph Segerman, and he concluded this, in that we try to extend the upper
limits of gut.  For example, a renaissance lute at "g" in 440 has an upper
limit of roughly 59 cm.  If you go with a longer length, you must lower the
pitch;  if you do not, you will result in breaking trebles.  Simply making
a thinner treble does not make it work.  For baroque lutes, 67 to 68 cm is
the upper limit for f at 415.  If you go 70 cm (my 13 course) or certainly
your 75 cm lute, a gut treble will break prematurely.  It is simply that a
treble string has fewer gut fibers, that cannot last at higher
tensions.  So, the upper limit (baroque lute at a = 415) is around 68 cm-
beyond that, gut trebles do not last.  I certainly can use a gut treble,
but I must lower the pitch of the treble.

Earlier this year, I actually had a gut treble on my 68 cm lute that lasted
& did not fray for 5-6 months!!!!  The reason is because it was short
enough for that pitch, to be supported.

Certainly, you can use a synthetic treble at your mensur for 415, as the
upper limits of synthetics exceed those of gut.  I have tried for many,
many years with my 70 cm baroque lute to get a treble (any brand... it does
not matter) to last at 415, & it does not.  If you get lucky, you might get
a week or 2, but doubtful, from a gut treble.  If I want to play my 70 cm
lute at 415, I use a nylon or nylgut treble.

In answering your question, yes, gut trebles are comfortable, but they will
not last at 415 at that length.  You need to string it perhaps more than a
semitone or lower (a = 392) for that long neck to work.

In my opinion, whether or not one uses gut, I think lutes sound best when
strung at or near the upper limit of gut.  So, try your lute at a = 392 -
you might love it!

What do the old sources & treatises state?  Something like, "tune the lute
treble as high as it can go before it breaks".  Case in point.

The best,

Ed