From: Martin Shepherd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 December 2007 08:57
To: Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: baroque lute pitch

Dear All,

I assume, at least as a starting point, that baroque lutes had a a first
course tuned reasonably close to breaking point just like renaissance
lutes (Mimmo has an argument that the limiting factor on a baroque lute
is actually the 5th course because it is too thin to be anything other
than plain gut, so it's important to keep it as thin as possible).

If you take g' at a'=440 as a reasonable pitch for a 60cm string length
- and I find a good gut string is fine at that pitch - then the
equivalent for f' is about 67cm and for e' about 71cm.  So I have no
problem tuning a baroque lute to f' at a'=415, as long as the string
length is less than about 71cm.  In fact the lute I have just finished
for Rob MacKillop is only 69cm, so a bit more into the comfort zone.

Best wishes,

Martin