Von: Dante Ferrara [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 24. Januar 2008 21:34
An: Lutelist
Cc: Lutelist
Betreff: [LUTE] Karamazov

My, my. We are an overheated lot tonight!

Yes, the final chord sounds a bit strange and out of place, but if that's
how Edin wants to play it, well fine by me. I wouldn't, he would.

As none of us has ever met Dowland, we'll never know whether he thwacked his
strings harshly near the bridge for effect or gently picked the strings near
the neck joint for a different effect. And who are we to say that everything
should be played straight, identical in attack, tone quality and the rest?

Reading between the lines, I reckon there are some lutenists who think every
lute tune between 1500 and 1700 was played without a shred of humour or
personality. Imagine two hundred years of a Europe-ful of lutenists, none
daring to stray from the written page. Come on, lighten up!

Let me diffuse the tension by offering my short videos...

http://www.youtube.com/DanteFerrara

DF