On Jan 24, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Dante Ferrara wrote:

> My, my. We are an overheated lot tonight!

Not at all.  It's midday here, and since it's the middle of one of
those notoriously brutal Los Angeles winters, I'm hardly overheated.

> As none of us has ever met Dowland, we'll never know whether he
> thwacked his
> strings harshly near the bridge for effect or gently picked the
> strings near
> the neck joint for a different effect. And who are we to say that
> everything
> should be played straight, identical in attack, tone quality and
> the rest?

No one here has ever said anything of the sort.

> Reading between the lines,

Perhaps best not to, since you wind up arguing over things no one has
said

> I reckon there are some lutenists who think every
> lute tune between 1500 and 1700 was played without a shred of
> humour or
> personality.

Just my personal view, but I don't think Forlorne Hope should be funny.