On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:46 PM, Paul Kieffer wrote:

> i have no problem, in this case, with the last chord at all.  i
> think that edin made this choice for his own artistic reasons that
> are in his head.  i think it would be disrespectul to dowland only
> if edin made this choice to make the music more attractive to
> modern audiences, because this would imply that it is not good
> enough for 21st century listeners (edin was clearly not saying this)

It's a fair guess that it wasn't good enough for Karamazov, since he
changed it, but apart from that I wouldn't opine about what his
message might have been.

> so, folks, i say that motives are very important when it comes to
> interpretaion. people dont seem to get this, at least here.

Perhaps people don't get it because it's impossible to get.  How are
we supposed to know what a performer's motives are?  A recorded
performance exists independent of the motives that produced it.