Paul Keiffer wrote...
"All this talk about the last chord: yes i understand it is written major
and its what dowland said, but i dont think it is that big a deal when you
take the interpretation as a whole.  Edin's performance was remarkably well
crafted, and imo he brought out the structure of the piece better than
anyone ive heard, with a remarkable understanding of the compositional
process and meaning".

Here, here I agree entirely.  'Forlorn Hope' is the name given to a
strategic position in 'no-mans-land', well ahead of the battle-line where
soldiers would prefer not to be.  A place where there is little hope of
re-enforcements arriving.

Maybe this piece is befitting a minor-key throughout, to express being
forlorn.  Then, finally resolving to a major-chord as a sign of hope.

If Edin prefers to keep it minor, then so be it.

The soldiers shouted, 'Send reinforcements.  We're going to advance'
Heard as,'Send three dollars, four-cents.  We're going to a dance'!

Was that ever resolved?

Best Wishes

Ron (UK)