On Jan 25, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Stewart McCoy wrote:

> I enjoyed much of Karamazov's performance, not least the way he
> kept the rhythm steady, unlike so many self-indulgent players today
> who constantly play around with the tactus...

> ...It is an emphatic statement, and a fitting climax to an
> extraordinary piece of music. To play a wrong note  deliberately in
> the last chord, not only discredits the composer, it also insults
> the listener. In terms of musical logic, it is like a lawyer
> strongly arguing his case, and then undermining his own argument by
> supporting the opposite point of view in his final sentence. In
> artistic terms, it is like an artist painting a wonderful landscape
> for you, and then throwing a bottle of ink at it just before he
> hands it over. If the role of the musician is to create cynicism
> and anarchy, it is fair game to destroy the work of others. If not,
> he should show some humility and respect for the composer and for
> the audience, and stick to the script.

"Sticking to the script" is most admirable, as is cultivating a sense
of "humility and respect for the composer."  Indeed you may be sure
that these things would certainly have been endorsed by the composer
himself, especially the latter!  ;-)

But as long as we're using language to aid our logic, let me add that
"all work and no play make Jack a dull boy."  I have generally
observed that creative people are self-indulgent.  That's how they
work.  And without them what would we have?  Lifeless classical
models.  Masterpieces of dead polyphony.  I didn't particularly like
some of the more lurid aspects of EK's performance of Forlorn Hope,
but I admire the spirit in which he did it.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]