To: "Jerzy Zak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 9:51 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Pittoni's theorbo?

Thank you Jerzy.

 I take it you're referring to the hypothesis that the occasional leap in
a scalic passage played on the 2nd and 3rd course of a double reentrant
theorbo (say, as found in Pittoni 1669, eg last bar page 43 in da Chiesa
volume) might possibly suggest there could have been octave stringing on
the 2nd course. Pttoni writes for a theorbo in A.

 As you'll probably know, this was discussed some time ago (see archives)
and no concencus seemed to emerge as to wether one just accepted this
whenever it occurred or wether he did indeed employ a high octave on the
2nd (or some other device? eg putting a low octave on the 3rd!).  You'll
not be surprised that I fall into the first camp and my and others views
will be found in the archives.  But in short, as with similar
'discontinuities' in much baroque guitar music, I believe that the 'Old
Ones' weren't over concerned about these occasional leaps (indeed,
contemporary music for other instruments, eg Corelli, sometimes employs
wide leaps as a compositional effect). The important thing for me (and
this is, of course, subjective) is that there is a clear sense of the
melodic and of the bass line and I find that with the firmer thumb stroke
on the bass line and/or allied with the continuo Pittoni calls for (organo
or clavicembalo) there is no real sense of any strange
harmonic inversion.

 The bar on page 43 also illustrates another problem: if one accepts an
octave on the 2nd, where does it all end? - since here the scalic passage,
both ascending and descending, crosses all three top courses: there has to
be a discontinuity somewhere; wether it be between the 2nd and 3rd or 1st
and 2nd. Note also that at the beginning of this bar he completes the
previous ascending phrase on the same course (3rd at fret 7) and then
plays the same note on course 2 (fret1) to start the next short phrase.
This, I suggest, shows he made a concious choice to start the next phrase
at the lower octave - in short double reentrant.

 Personally, I rather like the octave leap at the end of the
bar....................

 MH

Jerzy Zak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Martyn,

All this is very persuasive, but what about the story of a double re-
entrant instrument with double strings and the second course in
octaves, in G or A?

From my sketchy calculations it appeares it must be an instrument of
about 74 cm (stopped), considering on one side the breaking point of
the high octave of the second (the _e'_) and the musical quality of
the 6th (or 7th) course. As a theorbo it's a toy instrument, useless
(?), but in therms of say a baroque d-m lute, with which it shares
the tessitura, it is a huge one. In this case such a theorbo would
have the 5th and the 6th (+ the 7th?) in octaves as well.

Someone said that already.

Gratefull for comments,
Jurek