From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 2:36 PM
To: Jerzy Zak; Lute Net
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Pittoni's theorbo?

Jurek,

There are many problematic areas in regard to this matter. I
believe that the most satisfactory solution is the second course in
octaves since it seems sometimes to act as a "normal" low string and
sometimes like it in the high octave. I've been playing around with
this for the past month or so (on my "toy") and its quite musically
worthwhile. (For the record, I've got my octave string in the upper
position like a baroque guitar.)

We're forgetting about Melli. Without the octave 2nd, there are whole
pieces that disintegrate into annoying leaps. Take these examples from
the 'Corrente detta la Strasinata per la Tiorba' from his Libro Quinto
of 1620.

The piece opens with a 16th-note run from the 1st course to the second.
Fine for standard double re-entrant tuning. In bar 6, however, there is
a trill (marked "T") above the dotted quarter on the open second course.
The real problem comes with the fact that the trill also has a
written-out termination. There are two 16ths: a '3' on the third course
followed by a '0' on the second course which leads into a '1' in the
next measure. How to make sense of this leap up a minor seventh smack
in the middle of the concentrated gesture of rapid neighboring tones
that make up a trill? The idea of the thing going something like
"FEFEFEFEFE - D up a 7th - E down a 7th - F" in the space of about a
second is ludicrous. And if Melli really wanted the D as part of the
figure, why not just write an open 5th course? These sorts of trills
happen all over.

The figure at m.12 is problematic for standard re-entrant tuning as
well. There is another four-note run in 16ths. In this case the run
begins on an open second course and continues "down" to '3-2-0' on the
third course. A leap up a minor seventh for no reason. Why not just
write '5-3-2-0'?

So far we might be able to argue that the piece, although labeled "per
la Tiorba" has in fact been written for a lute or "theorbo" with only
one or no re-entrant strings (then not a theorbo at all, of course).
Measure 20 presents problems with this solution. Here there is a
typical theorbo-ism - a 16th-note run divided between strings. The
figure begins with a '3-1' on course 3, continues to a '1' on the 1st
course, and moves on to a '2' on the 4th course before finishing with a
'1' back on the 1st course. Such a figure would be pointless in lute
tuning. Why not write those 1st course '1's' as '3's'
on the 3rd course?

Is single re-entrant tuning intended? There are problems with that,
especially with what follows. The piece ends with a nice set of
sequences using the 16th-note figure:

m. 22 - '3-1-0' on course 1; '3' on course 2

m. 24 - '0' course 2; '3-2-0' course 3

m. 26 - '3-1-0' course 3; '2' course 4

m. 27 - '3-1-0' course 2; '3' course 3

m. 28 - '0' course 1; '3-2-0' course 2, incidentally ending with '0' on
the 5th course.

This happens in the short space of a few measures within ONE piece by
Melli. Many more such examples abound.

Clearly he thought of the second course as musically neighboring either
the first course, third course, OR 4th course. I've found that having
the octave string closest to the third course allows me to sometimes
emphasize the lower octave and sometimes the higher one. (Having it
closest to the 1st course made it difficult to bring out the low
octave).

Its been fun working with it. And of course it works nicely for
Pittoni, too!

Chris

=== message truncated ==