Roland,

   There are also John Wilson's pieces and other
English works that just use the single re-entrant
tuning.  Unfortunately for Melli and Pittoni, this may
solve extremely disjunct voice leading problems in
some places but it will create more problems in
others.

   In Pittoni and Melli, the second course is
musically somehow both ABOVE the third course and
BELOW the first.  Its also above the fourth course.
Descending melodic lines may begin on the 3rd course,
continue down to the 1st course and then proceed to
the 2nd course.  In other contexts (often within the
same piece) lines can begin on the 2nd course and
continue "downwards" to the 3rd course.  In still
other cases, we find that runs begin on the 2nd course
and continue to the 5th course.  Obviously, things go
the opposite way when dealing with ascending lines...

In this repertoire, the situation is in fact 100%
clear: the 2nd course always eschews obfuscation
except when it does the opposite, which is true in all
cases. :-)

Chris

=== message truncated ===