The original Cyrillic set is unknown, but in the Glagolitic ((invented by Constantin AKA Cyrill) on which Cyrillic is based) the glyphs of M and B are mirror images of the same. Hense the common expression "X knows neither B nor M" i.e. an ignoramus, and the similarities between BANDURA and MANDORA.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Arndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LUTELIST" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:21 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Translation for Ladino text.

Thank you, Bernd, Alan, and Mathias. That is all very interesting. I checked
in the unabridged Lidell and Scott (the most comprehensive Greek-English
dictionary), and there was nothing beginning with "mp." In modern Cyrillic
the "b" sound is represented by a letter that looks like an Italic lower
case "b" and the "v" sound by one that looks like an upper case "b" (more or
less). Perhaps Roman knows whether Cyrill himself used those.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernd Haegemann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>