Dear Gernot, dear all,

thank you - "birbante" to "berbante" is no long way to go, too.

I have not been successful in searching for "berbante" in literature about =
Sephardic texts and/or language - even the library of the Berlin Jewish Mus=
eum seems to have no holdings which are of help, but as things seems to be =
pretty clear I will not have to chagrain myself into sleep this night.

Back to music: Herbert - do you have a melody for the text?

All best,

Joachim

"Gernot Hilger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> If it is of any interest, I found an online source about what the word =
=20
> means. http://el.wiktionary.org/wiki/=BC=C0=B5=C1=BC=C0=AC=BD=C4=B7=C2
>=20
> It is obviously a loan word from Italian birbante and means
> "man with unstable and intense erotic life that seeks/creates a lot of =
=20
> erotic relations with women"
> (Translation from http://www.stars21.com/translator/greek_to_english.html=
=20
> , this translator is quite good)
>=20
> That would make it a plain womanizer which nicely fits into the Ladino =
=20
> text.
>=20
>=20
> On 26.04.2008, at 22:10, Gernot Hilger wrote:
>=20
> > and also in Greek, berbantis (=9C=C0=B5=C1=BC=C0=AC=BD=C4=B7=C2). I do =
not know =20
> > exactly what It means, but is is a word for a man in the field also =20
> > containing women and adultery.
> >
> > On 26.04.2008, at 21:50, Roman Turovsky wrote:
> >
> >> There is a similar word in Italian- BIRBANTE.
> >> RT
> >> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Manolo Laguillo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
uillo.com=20

--=20
Joachim L=FCdtke, Lektorat & DTP-Dienstleistungen
Dr. Joachim L=FCdtke
Blumenstra=DFe 20
D - 90762 F=FCrth
Tel. +49-+911 / 976 45 20