This is an important point: if the aim is HIP, then this is it. Many
three-part works written during the early chanson period were "given
new life" by the addition of a fourth part. Some of these extra parts
are quite ingenious, providing a complete change in chord structure
(not that the composers of the time were harmony-focused).

In the first book of music printed with moveable type, Petrucci's
Harmonice Musices Odhecaton, eight and possibly 10 pieces have been
treated this way. Many of the added parts are overtly marked "si
placet". Examination of the si placet literature shows that some of
the extra pieces move all over the place in wide jumps, trying to fill
in the harmony without violating voice rules. (And this may well have
grown into the fifth-part name, vagans, wandering.)

It's a way for modern HIP musicians to show their musicianship the way
that the original folk did.

ray