This message did not seem to have been sent to the list, so I will =20
try again. I appologize, if they both do come through. AH

It seems to me that, in recent messages,  several different questions =20=

are being raised about the loading process and dyeing processes at =20
the same time. One of these can be answered  fairly easily:

Q Is the material used for loading strings metal filings, as Damian =20
has mentioned?

- Well, I suppose it depends what you call metal filings, but I think =20=

it would be better to call it a powder of some form of copper =20
(perhaps some sort of copper oxide). I don't think it is obtained by =20
using a file on a piece of copper.
"Modern loaded Bass strings (...) can present different shades of =20
dark red, brown or blackish colour, but also light yellow - depending =20=

on the oxides or sulfides employed. Also metal powders like metallic-=20
copper (which is what we use on our loaded strings because it is not =20
toxic) achieve the same goal: we still have ancient recipes =20
describing how to produce the finest copper powder (we tried them =20
quite successfully), like the one by Don Alessio Piemontese =91I =20
secreti...=92, printed in Venice in 1555: the resulting colour, too, =20
looks very much like what we see on iconographical sources." MP

We may note that MP's recipe for loading is certainly not the only =20
way one that could achieve loading, and, if we admit that string =20

competing recipes, with varying results.

Q Another question is not historic: What difference is there between =20
a dyeing and a loading process, as this would be defined today? Is =20
there any overlap in these two types of process that could lead from =20
one to the other,

- Well, I made a search and I found it very difficult to understand =20
what I came up with, but it seems that metal oxides are mainly used =20
as some sort of fixing agent for dyes (mordants) in some modern dyes
See here, for example:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5320647.html
I am no chemist, so most of the document goes completely over my =20
head. I don't think the metals are the colouring agent, but somehow =20
help to fix the dye, but I could be quite wrong, and I don't know =20
whether they effect the density of the material they are applied to.

However, this is the wrong question. It is irrelevant how scientists =20
would consider the two processes today, or how they would designate =20
them, perhaps never confusing the two.
The valid question seems to me to be whether, around 1570, colouring =20
leathers, wool etc, with metal oxides would have been considered as =20
dyeing, or whether they would have been given a completely different =20
name, such as "loading".
I found this site which helps me to find an answer which satisfies =20
me, but possibly not you.
http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Dyeing/dyemordants.htm
Here, I read,
"Metals are among the earliest of dyes for textiles. Most commonly, =20
early people from all over the world discovered that certain soils =20
would impart color to cloth if the cloth were buried in it for some =20
duration. Extant examples of such a technique can be found in =20
textiles of the Swiss Lake Dwellers, approx. 3000 BC and modern use =20
of the practice can be found in Africa, where the natives treat the =20
cloth with a pattern of tannins and then bury it in iron-rich soil, =20
producing a black and tan design."

Thus, as I understand it, for thousands of years the problem with =20
which the "dye trade" (don't take that too literally) must have been =20
confronted, was how to make these dyes more permanent, how to fix =20
them on wool, leather, etc. This fixing process would surely lead to =20
fast, not to load the material. Loading would just have been a =20
secondary effect.

"Several ancient recipes could have been easily employed for =20
=20
for dyeing fabrics, silk and leather in his 'Plichto de l=92arte de =20
tentori che insegna tenger pani, telle, banbasi et sede si per larthe =20=

magiore come per la comune', Venezia, 1568). Some of these describe =20
how to incorporate cinnabar (red mercury sulphide) or lithargyrum =20
(yellow lead oxide) into wax, leather, silk, wood, hair, inks &c.: =20
indeed, only a short step away from gut." MP

Thus this process most probably would have been strongly associated =20
with the dyeing trade. If the string trade was centred in an area of =20
Italy where sheep were at one time abundant, perhaps there were very =20
close links between these various trades (wool, leather-tanning, =20
dyeing, and also the gut string trade). I think this centre of the =20
string trade was also at a point from which trade routes spread-out. =20
It would not be surprising if other trades were assoicated with these =20=

routes, but I admit that I don't know how close the relations might =20
have been between these different guilds.
I am not suggesting that all dyeing of gut was loading, just that =20
playing around with dyeing processes could have lead to the discovery =20=

of loading.

Damian is right, I think in considering this socio-economic history =20
of the gut string trade and their relations with the other guilds, as =20=

being of great importance to our understanding of gut technology.

In the light of what I have said so far, when Mace mentions the =20
quality of the dark red Pistoys, this is not proof that such strings =20
were loaded; however, if they were loaded, should we expect Mace to =20
use this term rather than the term "dyed"? I don't think we should =20
expect that when modern texts continue to refer to loading of cloth =20
with oxides, as "dyeing" (see above).

In relation to this general question of how string makers might have =20
come across the use of metal oxides in relation to leather, a search =20
with google also brought up the fact that at least some metal oxides =20
have been used in the tanning process of leather, in particular =20
chromium salts, but no doubt others have been used, in the tanning =20
process.
"Chrome Tanning: A tanning process using salts of chromium to make =20
leathers that are especially supple and suitable for bags, garments, =20
etc. "
It is possible that similar tanning processes were attempted with =20
gut. There is no direct relation to loading with a metal oxide, but =20
any experimentation, dyeing, and tanning, using metal salts, could =20
have made such a discovery more likely.

Don't let us forget that "dyeing" with metal salts is not the only =20
way to load gut, and around 1650, a new way of loading gut, the demi-=20
fil=E9 was discovered. This is clearly mentioned in several texts =20
(Playford, Perrault), and we do have the Mest sample to prove it. =20
Thus we do know that some string makers must have been looking for =20
ways of loading strings.

Incidentally, the way loaded strings behave, make me think of the =20
pendulum, rather than a spring. Some have suggested that Galileo's =20
study (around 1600) of the behaviour of the pendulum came from =20
experiments he made with his father weighting lute strings. No I am =20
not suggesting that Galileo discovered the loaded string, but perhaps =20=

this sort of question was not all that new, just well formulated by =20
Galileo.

Claude Perrault's description of the demi-fil=E9 loaded strings, seems =20=

to be referring to its being similar to the pendulum-like swinging =20
motion of a bell.
http://www.aquilacorde.com/im16.htm

Again, no proof is implied in what I have just said, only that string-=20=

makers clearly did not ignore such experimentation.

Please do not consider that I think I have successfully answered =20
these questions. I have written down the questions raised, as I have =20
understood them, and I have given a number of remarks as replies, =20
which in no way are attempts to close the issue.

There are other questions that have been raised, such as Jaroslaw's =20
general questions about whether we should not just get on with =20
playing music on the strings we have, rather than hunt for new-old =20
materials, I will try to respond with a few remarks, later.
Anthony

Le 6 juin 08 =E0 01:37, howard posner a =E9crit :