David, et al,

     Here's a hypothetical: Imagine that a few hundred
years from now NO audio recordings of jazz have
survived, just some good written descriptions, "teach
yourself to play jazz saxophone/guitar/tuba" method
books, and a fair number of lead sheets.  What kind of
jazz would our descendants really be playing without
ever having heard it?  What would a 20th century
jazzer, zapped into the future, think of it?  (I can
imagine that he or she might find the future jazz
stiff and academic, lacking imagination - maybe even
"all wrong."  I doubt our jazzer would be very
impressed.)

     The jazzers in the future would probably be able
to re-construct the gist of it, but would any of the
future folks ever gain the ease and suppleness of
style - "the feel" - that a contemporary jazz master
intuitively understands and ineffably puts in
practice?  Maybe.  But they'd be unlikely to get there
just by following the steps in something like a "Play
just like John Coltrane" book.

    That's us with the French style.  While I think
David's points are valid and it is important to
investigate all of these, there is a danger here.
Style in any form of music is possible to decribe in
writing but utterly impossible to teach solely in
writing.  Its very easy to trick oneself into
believing that if you play French-style elements A, B
and C the way that writers X, Y, and Z have described
them that you're actually playing the style.  The old
ones didn't learn French style from books, afterall.

Chris - prepared for time travel.