Gerwig was a great musician and if you were influenced by his sound, which was a beautiful gut sound, then you are very fortunate because you are now an extension of the lute tradition.

Damian

Yeah, cracks me up, too. And I decidedly say No. Early recordings like Gerwig, playing Bittner, et al shaped my notions and prejudices concerning French baroque lute music. Some modern recordings still
suffer from that unfortunate state of mind.

I'm not religious on French style, and I'm still puzzled by David Taylor's remarks about two different kinds of inegale. Yet even IMHO there are some basic ideas which constitute French baroque lute style.
Not taking them into account equals eating soup with a fork.
--
Mathias