On Jun 29, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Stuart Walsh wrote:
>  which end of the damned feather to use, and (difficult to phrase
> this one), wobbly or stiff?

Crawford uses the thin end of a strong feather. Peedu explained the
details very well I thought. I have only tried this with feathers
I've found on the ground like crow's feathers and they are
inadequate, but I could see that with a good feather it would work. I
think you just have to try different things. Some things will work
better for some kinds of music or for your particular technique.

Try a thick string, like a classical guitar G string for a plectrum.
How far it sticks out from your fingers determines how floppy it is.
If it is just a couple of millimeters it will be quite stiff. Of
course bone or wood or something like that would be a lot stiffer. We
can often see pretty big plectrums in the iconography, but sometimes
we can't make out what they are holding. Don't ask me for links, I
just remember seeing them.
HTH
cheers,

On Jun 29, 2008, at 6:35 AM, Stuart Walsh wrote:

> A guitar string (or presumably a lute string) or the thin end of a
> feather is very wobbly indeed. Just out of interest I've tried both
> and I can sort of see how they may work. Wouldn't you get a very
> tinny, 'rebec' like sound.
>
> On the other hand, surely a horn or bone (or modern plastic)
> plectrum or even the thick end of a feather  would be wholly
> different.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]