________________________________

Lähettäjä: Ed Durbrow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lähetetty: la 28.6.2008 9:59
Vastaanottaja: Stuart Walsh; LuteNet list
Aihe: [LUTE] Re: medieval plectrum, how to make?

On Jun 8, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Stuart Walsh wrote:

> Ed Durbrow wrote:
>> Crawford Young uses a guitar string as a plectrum.
> Any more details on this?
> Stuart

Not too much to add. You just take the feathers off of the part on
the end that hits the strings. He leaves a little bit of feather on
the other end so that he can find it if it drops on the floor. The
important point is that he uses the opposite end of the feather from
what most folks do and he doesn't split it. I forget if he sands it
or not to make it perfectly round.

I tried gluing or taping a bit of guitar G string to the side of a
guitar pick so it protudes past the tip. This works well. It gives
you a round bit that sounds well from any angle and something to hold
on to that is wider than a string. You can adjust the flexibility by
how close to the end you hold it.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]