Ray,

     Hey, no feathers were ruffled here.  I pointed no
fingers specifically, but peer pressure does exist.
Pretending it doesn't exist as long as people keep
asking you to play.

     (My wife has a classical guitar student who is
slightly handicapped so that he can not hold the
guitar in the traditional manner and so he must lay
the guitar across his lap.  I've heard the kid play
and his "handicap" doesn't seem to cause him any
problems, although my wife has had to re-think many of
the foundations of guitar teaching.  He also learns
extremely quickly and reads music well.  Now that
we're moving, my wife has been struggling to find a
responsible teacher.  None of the degreed classical
guitar teachers will take this kid on since he can't
hold the guitar "right," so he'll probably end up
taking lessons with some three-chord strummer in the
back room of a music store.)

     My primary reason for recommending purchasing a
theorbo was simply the sound quality.  You're going to
school to learn the ins and outs of this music, right?
 Then you should have an instrument with the sonic
capabilities to allow you to express what you know and
feel.

     I'm actually in an identical situation right now.
 I'll be going back to school in the fall and know
that I won't be able to limp along with the mediocre
lute I currently have.  Its not that its even all that
bad; it just isn't subtle enough.  Upgrading to a
better instrument will be a significant finacial
hardship for me, especially with the expenses involved
with moving, but I know its something I've got to do
if I'm going to do the music (and myself) justice.