Rainer has raised the point as to why one would include a piece in
the Dowland Canon without attribution.
It is a good question. let's take a quick look.
It turns out many "works" by Dowland have no attribution. And this is
true for many composers.

In The Poulton/Lam edition (CLM) No. 60 is a good example.
It is anonymous, no attribution, and the Title is "Come away" which
is of course, not even the correct title. Poulton corrects the title
to the song.
Furthermore, it is different than other settings in other sources.
Did Dowland write the very poorly composed piece--though a charming
tune--and then fail to sign it in embarrassment, and put the wrong title on it?
I think not.
So why was it included?
Because similar pieces (although in this case, not similar pieces)
are attributed in other sources.

However, Dowland's piece in Francisque has much stronger credentials.
It has multiple attributions in other sources, it has all of the
stylistic traits (which No 60 does not), and there is the intriguing
reference by Dowland himself about the imperfect foreign sources, all
of which fit neatly onto a timeline that results in the publication of LoST.
It uses the full polyphonic framework, which is very rare, and has
very difficult fingering, exhibiting typical Dowland "harder than it
looks" virtuosity.

Note that I did not say it is in the same class of attribution as the
holograph sources, I merely put it into the second, or "strong" category.
In this respect, it is below "Farewell Fancy" but clearly above No.
60 in CLM. And it clearly has stronger credentials than many of the
pieces in CLM.

Another thing to consider, if we start using the attribution rule to
decide authorship, much of our favorite music will instantly become
anonymous, including works by Josquin, Isaac, Francesco, Handel & Bach.

As for whether Poulton knew of the piece, my concern is only that it
does not appear in the sources in CLM, The role of the editor is not
to discard the music you don't like, it is to include the sources.
And then if you wish, rate it lower.

dt