You basically have a set of options, David is correct that you can
set a high fret for example to get a true G sharp and get by without
the tastini for select pieces.
And you can look for pieces without an F sharp, there are some nice
ones, and so on. I find for a lot of the music I like to play that a
G sharp on the third fret tastino and and F Sharp and C sharp on the
first fret is very nice for solo playing, I can fret the A flat, D
flat with my little finger. But it is sort of annoying. Once you get
used to the sound it is tough to go back, just did a set in meantone,
then next day stated a set in "not meantone" and everything seems
dull and harsh--there are still lots of outta tune notes in the
ensemble, but the resonance is different. I think the resonance
difference is the most important difference.
dt