On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Andrew Gibbs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A nice quote from August Magnan (the entomologist who calculated that
> bumble bees are incapable of flight):
>
> 'One shouldn't be surprised that the results of the calculations
> don't square with reality.'

The other day the cartoon in my news paper showed two scientists. One
congratulates the other with his succesful experiment:
'Congratulations! Bbut is it possible according to the theory?' This
also reminded me of our mean tone discussions.

On a side note, thick gut strings and thin gut strings are impossible
to get in tune with straight frets anyway, whatever temperament.
Perhaps some tolerance in our ears is needed, too. ;-)

David