Damian
"Sonner le tocsin", meant roughly "to ring a peal of warning bells ", but could also mean the bell used for such a warning. This would have come from earlier "touquesain" from Provencal "tocaseneh". It seems that "tocar" (or toquer), distantly related to "touch", comes from Latin "toccāre" make a sound like "toc".
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O27-touch.html
and "senh" could be derived from Latin "signum" a sign - a signal, giving ancient French "seing", later "sein", and which took on the meaning of "bell".

My source is the historic dictionary of the French language, le Robert, but etymology of a single expression, even backed-up by such a dictionary is rarely safe. Around 1570 and for a certain period, the expression apparently took on a metaphoric meaning (Bossuet) to allert public oppinion.
Best wishes
Anthony