I suppose you are talking about the fact that the wooden frets are fixed and may not correspond to the tuning that you are using,
or do you mean that there is a difference of tone with a wooden fret?
When I mentionned Stephen's having set my Baroque lute in 6th comma, many people here protested that French Baroque lute must have been very close to Equal, and yet Stephen told me that French Baroque players shunned wooden frets because of their poor sound. I am now wondering whether this might imply that they did vary their tuning, or simply that the sound of a gut fret and a wooden fret are distinct, and this was what they disliked, or again simply theu did not like the extreme high
as they did tend to revel in the mid rather than top or bass.
I would be glad to receive some enlightenment about that.
Anthony