I've looked up the 1574 edition, but it doesn't contain rececari, and
the passemezzo La Milensa must be a different piece as it doesn't
contain the given measure.

My interest was to see how 11th or 12th frets would be written in German
tablature. The 10th fret on 1st course 9 with a dash above it. Notes on
the 11th and 12th frets would have to be letters with double dashes
above them. I ran through the entire book but couldn't find any of them.

As for the measure from Recercar Terzo, XI could be a typo. Could be
XII, could just as well be X. I for one would opt for X.

XI in the measure from Pass'e mezo La Milanese does certainly not mean
XII. Could be XI, indeed, could just as well be X. I'd opt for X again,
considering XI a typo, because I couldn't find 11th or 12th frets at all
with Newsidler.

Mathias

"Richard Yates" <rich...@yatesguitar.com> schrieb:
> Perhaps it was overlooked in the surge of new threads, or maybe my question
> was just an uninteresting one with an obvious solution, but any response to
> the example I found below about the mysterious Melchior eleventh fret would
> be much appreciated. RY
>
> >I ran across another spot that confounds the question of the
> >eleventh fret and its notation. In the Pass'e mezo Milanese
> >there is a 'XI' symbol on the second course. It sounds to me
> >like it should be played on the eleventh fret in contrast to
> >other places (e.g. Recercar Terzo) where 'XI' seems to mean
> >twelfth (i.e. octave) fret. Can anyone unravel this one?
> >
> >Check the graphic of both spots at
> > http://www.yatesguitar.com/misc/Neusidler.jpg
> >
> >Richard Yates
>

> >>Presumably he didn't have an 11th fret, so his 11th fret is our 12th,
> >>if you see what I mean. :-)

> >symbol 'X'
> >twelfth

Viele Grüße