On Feb 16, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

>    A small theorbo is called a 'toy' theorbo when, because of its
>    relatively small size

As I recall, "toy" is your own appellation, rather than some general
historical definition.

> which only really requires the first course to be
>    at the lower octave,  the second is also unnecessarily lowered:
> it's
>    all down to  how the individual player strings it,  not some
> inherent
>    characteristic of the instrument itself.

You're saying that size brings about the necessity to use double
reentrant tuning.  But that's not to say that people with smaller
instruments do it "unnecessarily."  I'm sure many of us (myself
included) do it because of the way double reentrant tuning sounds.
My theorbo is small enough at 79cm on the fretboard to use single
reentrant tuning, but I personally prefer the sound of double
reentrant over single.  With single reentrant there's too much second-
string sound, at least in my mind anyway.  Besides, double reentrant
provides the characteristic uniqueness of the theorbo!  It's what
makes a theorbo a theorbo, regardless of size.  I can tune my 10-
course in double reentrant if I want to.  That would truly be a "toy"
theorbo!

Davidr
dlu...@verizon.net