     From: howard posner <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] Re: Theorbo by Nic. Nic. B. van der Waals for sale
     To: "lutelist Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Monday, 16 February, 2009, 8:10 PM
Now you know the joke.

You can have hours of fun by guessing exactly what "relatively small
size" makes a theorbo a "toy" under Martin's criteria, then
changing
the assumed pitch level and doing it again.  Martin misses the fun
because he doesn't acknowledge that pitch is relevant to the question
of instrument size, which spares him a lot of work with the more
advanced branches of mathematics, such as multiplication and division.

The part about Martyn's view of what size theorbos I "favor" --
as if
I actually had theorbo preferences based on size, and there were
someone else on the planet who cared what those preferences were --
is new, I think, and is silly without being funny.  As far as I can
tell, if Martyn thought about such things, he would say my theorbo is
a toy at A92, definitely not a toy at AD0, and probably not a toy
at AA5, before realizing that there was something wrong with his
categorical one-size-fits-all construct.  But he doesn't think of
such things.  Hence the joke.

The fact is, I was taught in early adolescence that size doesn't matter.