To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Laurent de La Hyre

As compared to modern day's levels of mercury contamination in the air (in particular in such big places like London where hundreds of thousands, if not more, of strip lights and 'new generation' light bulbs are getting replaced and simply chucked off in skips daily!) the effect from the mercury / lead loaded strings would simply count next to nothing.

By the way, I'm not a toxicologist :) So no responsibilities accepted ...

AB

Martyn Hodgson wrote:
Regarding the use of mercury (or lead) to load a gut string: if it were
   a problem wouldn't we have seen at least some contemporary reports of
   professional lutenists with poisining symptoms - I'm not aware of any.
   But perhaps the amount of mercuric compound is so relatively small
   (unlike with the hatters who rubbed raw mercury into hats with their
   fingers) that there's no noticeable effect. Surely a toxologist should
   be able to inform us....

   MH