The bocal is flared slightly at the end, so it could hold a reed, but it looks more like a bass recorder. The bass and the two smaller ones form a continuo group that was popular in France--a sort of portable organ. There is a fairly extensive literatature for three recorder continuo. But it is impossible to tell because the instrument is hidden. There are two very beautifully drawn scribe marks around the top, but these marks could be on any wind instrument.
If it is a recorder, the windway is to the back, but that is not unusual.
dt

At 02:36 PM 2/22/2009, you wrote:
The basoon first appeared about 1650. But obviously it could be a bass or tenor as well.
Jaroslaw

----- Original Message ----- From: <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:07 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Laurent de La Hyre

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009, Jaros³aw Lipski <jaroslawlip...@wp.pl> said:

Dear Dana,
The reproduction doesn't show that detail particularly well because that
area is very dark, but as far as I can remember it from the museum, the book
stands on the table covered with some black fabric, and leaning against the
basoon

Perhaps a bit early to be called bassoon, and looks more to me like a
shalm; extended tenor or bass to judge from the crook.  Wonder what the
shalm was braced with  (I use x-legged dowels).

Its clues like this that make possible replicas of the furniture in
everyday use which is only preserved iconographically :-)

--
Dana Emery