Absolutely. Even now use two copper powder loaded silk strings on treble gamba
and one on eight course lute. All of them are made with mixture of agar-agar
and sea salt. (I usually make a small number of strings, therefore using
gelatin or hide glue at needed temperatures i would have to dispose of the mix
every time. Agar stands repeated close to boil without loosing its' qualities.)
I did try some historical techniques involving lye and salts, and such, and
long periods of time, but they would be befitting to a full scale production
more then anything else.
As far as midrange strings with color, i did have a few experimental strings
very much liked by gamba and lute players, which were painted with oil paint
(linseed). They had amazingly good sound, but for the world of it, i did not
know what to think of them. They certainly sound better then just linseed (+
other drying oils) cured ones, plus have a very smooth surface. I did arrive to
such a need somehow, but can not claim that it could be an accepted practice in
the past. alexander